Jul 1, 2006


Peregrine falcons Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco successfully raised their third brood of chicks atop the Kodak Tower. The Birdcam is closed for the season as the “millennium brood”—McKeever, Mary Ann, MichaelAllen and Mr. Money—have left the nest to practice their flying and hunting skills before making their first migration.

The Birdcam will start up again next spring when the peregrines return to nest. In the meantime, check out the Galleries to see Birdcam highlights, or visit other areas of the site to download new desktop images and photos, learn the history and life cycle of peregrines, and read updates about Maxine’s recovery.

July 13, 2000
Maxine, one of Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco's 1999 offspring, continues to recover after being struck by a car near St. Catherine's, Ontario, Canada. She is being cared for by the famous Owl Lady of Canada, Kay McKeever. One of the Millennium brood, McKeever, was named after Kay and her husband, Larry, who are active participants in the peregrine falcon program.

Maxine's recovery from a fractured wing is going well. She is expected to be released, with a GPS (Global Positioning System) transmitter, like Mary Ann's, in August. Stay tuned for more details!

July 12, 2000
The falcon family continues to stay close to the Kodak building, spending much of their time in the High Falls Gorge area. Mary Ann and her sibling, as well as both parents, are being spotted regularly.

We are still trying to confirm the identity of the sibling who is flying with Mary Ann. In addition to MichaelAllen, we suspect that one other member of the Millennium brood has not survived.
June 24, 2000 At 5:30 A.M. Mary Ann was spotted flying and doing well. Later in the morning, she and one of her siblings were seen in the nestbox area. The sibling arrived with food. Although he may have intended it for his own meal, Mary Ann boldly stepped up and ate what her brother brought.

When only one sibling returned for yesterday's release of Mary Ann, Mark Nash, from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, became concerned. Although the average peregrine lifespan is 13 - 17 years, only about one out of two will survive to early adulthood. To live into their second year, peregrines have to survive the perils of early flight, when a strong wind can carry off a novice flyer. A search of the area surrounding the Kodak building began. Before long, MichaelAllen was found dead. We suspect that either Mr. Money or McKeever is also dead since only one of the three siblings responded to their parents' summons. People in the Rochester area are asked to be on the lookout for the other missing sibling.

June 23, 2000
Mary Ann has spent the last few days resting and feasting on quail at the vet's office. This morning she was outfitted with a very small and lightweight GPS (Global Positioning System) transmitter to help us learn more about her migration path. For approximately one year, Mary Ann's location will be reported to a satellite every 96 hours.

Around noon, Mary Ann was taken up to the nestbox area and the door of her carrier was opened. She walked out of the carrier and continued to walk around the area just below the nestbox. As soon as Mary Ann was released, both Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco arrived and perched on the Kodak tower where they could watch the activities. Shortly after that, one of Mary Ann's siblings landed on the railing right by her and appeared to be encouraging her with his constant squawking.

Mark Nash, from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, was one of the people monitoring Mary Ann's release. He knew that Mary Ann's release caused the parents' squawking that he interpreted as a summons for a family meeting. All the siblings should have gathered within an hour or so. Mark became concerned when, after an hour, only one sibling had returned.
Meanwhile, people from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation and Kodak people associated with the project, continued to monitor Mary Ann's attempts to fly. By nightfall, she still had not taken off.

June 18, 2000
Mary Ann has had trouble staying airborne. Around 9 p.m. she was seen on the sidewalk of State Street, so trained bird rescuers took her to a veterinarian for examination. After receiving medicine for hydration and nutrition, Mary Ann is in good health and now rests at the vet’s office. She’ll most likely be released in one or two days.

June 14, 2000
The fourth and final hatchling fled the nestbox today setting off on its solo flight.
June 12, 2000 By the end of the day three of the hatchlings had left on their solo flights. They continued to fly in close proximity and were often seen perched on the railings and walkways below the nest box.

May 25, 2000
The four chicks were removed from the nest box, banded and weighed.

May 7, 2000
All four hatchlings are alive and well.

May 6, 2000
Mariah moved away from the action just long enough for the cameras to reveal that at least two more eggs hatched.

May 5, 2000
At approximatley 3 p.m. EST, the first egg started to hatch. Before sunset, the first hatchling had exited its egg.

April 3, 2000
Mariah laid a fourth egg—the most she has laid in her three years atop the Kodak Tower.

April 1, 2000
Mariah laid a third egg.

March 29, 2000
Mariah laid a second egg at approximately 6:30 p.m. She is not yet incubating the eggs. One or two more eggs are expected before she starts incubating them.

March 27, 2000
Mariah laid her first egg on March 27—Three weeks earlier than last year.

March 7, 2000
Preparation for this year’s Birdcam is underway! Installers camouflage themselves under a tarp and successfully place the Birdcam in the nestbox. Previous two attempts without using tarp proved to be dangerous when the parent falcons attacked.

March 1, 2000
Research reveals a happy coincidence in the Rochester peregrine family tree: Ponce-Kingsley—Cabot-Sirocco’s father and Maxine’s grandfather—was released in Akron, OH on July 1, 1992 and injured near Windsor, Ontario, in November 1992. In late January 1993, Ponce-Kingsley was transferred to The Owl Foundation for rehabilitation and release.

In caring for Maxine and her grandfather, the McKeevers have been instrumental to the survival of the Rochester peregrine family.

January 24, 2000
Kodak representatives visit Maxine at The Owl Foundation.
January 1, 2000 Employees in the Kodak Office Tower observe Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco daily through the winter and confirm the birds haven’t migrated.

From the Kodak Discussion Board - Now offline

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?